Welcome to Calusa Elementary School, where your child will join a community of learners in a safe and nurturing environment. This is an exciting time in your child’s life. Children who know their families are interested in and support their school program are less likely to have problems in school and more likely to enjoy greater success.
We want your child to be happy and successful at school and in life, and believe you play a key role as your child’s first teacher. That role is to continuously show interest in and support for your child, which can be accomplished through
• communicating high expectations;
• creating a quiet space in your home where your child can complete homework;
• reading with your child for 20 – 30 minutes each day;
• talking with your child about the highlights of his/her day;
• making sure your child is on time and prepared for school every day; and
• joining the PTA and participating in school activities.
We believe communication among parents, students and teachers helps students succeed. Please share with your child’s teacher any information that will help us better serve your family. It is important to keep your telephone number current so that we can reach you if a concern or emergency arises.
Our District office provides free resources to help your child succeed, including:
• The Parent Academy’s workshops and family learning events;
• the Parent Portal, which enables parents to monitor their child’s attendance and grades through any computer with Internet access;
• free breakfast for all children; and
• Destination Success (Riverdeep), a web-based software program to help your child in reading, science and mathematics.
For more information about these and other available resources, please contact The Parent Academy at (305) 995-2680, or visit their Web site at www.theparentacademy.net.
The Calusa Elementary School family welcomes you. Let’s work together to ensure your child’s success.
SUZET M. HERNANDEZ, Principal