of 1999-2000 School Year
1. Five Star Award
recipient - State of Florida
2. First Place in Attendance - Miami-Dade County
3. Miami Herald Black History Essay Contest - 2 of 7 winners
Grades one through twelve tri-county area from Crestview
4. Jump Rope for Heart student
participation raised $3,450
1. Donuts and Dads Program
2. Title I Math Bowl (Second Place)
3. Family Time Library Nights (Monthly)
4. FCAT Assemblies and Parent Workshops
1. Groovin in the Grove
- Carnival atmosphere to support school objectives in
reading and math
2. Basal Reader FCAT Bank - Staff established an FCAT
Bank from the Basal Reader
3. Created Task Card Flip Books for each teacher to generate
questions, use in planning and implementation of lessons,
generate discussion, and familiarize and provide practice
4. Fat Cat Wednesday - To motivate students, increase
student FCAT performance, and improve parent support
5. Established School-Wide Tutorial Programs
1. Accelerated Reader Incentive
Winners received Dade Partners Donations
2. Title I Math Bowl - numerous ranking achievements
3. Multicultural Dance and Drama Club
4. Strings Ensemble
5. QZAB Grant recipient - Science Lab
6. Saturday Academy
1. This school year, 55%
of the 2nd grade students scored above the 50th percentile
on the reading comprehension sub test of the Stanford
2. This school year, 56% of the 2nd graders scored above
the 50th percentile on the mathematics application sub
test of the Stanford Achievement.
3. Developed, awarded and managed a feeder pattern grant
that provided for a reading tutorial in all eleven schools.
This initiative has been underway for two consecutive
4. Norwood Elementary School's chorus was selected to
participate in the Superintendent's Holiday Program and
did so masterfully.
1. A school-wide Math Fair
with hands-on math booths targeting the Sunshine State
Standards and focused on enhancing critical thinking skills.
2. Scholastic Annual Book Fair and Pajama Party Reading
Night for students in Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade.
3. EESAC implemented a Reading Incentive Program where
students received incentives such as Reading pins, pencils,
bookmarks, treats, or a certificate monthly for reading
books based on a set criteria.
4. Participated in Title I Publish-A-Book Contest and
one of our 5th grade students won 1st place in Region
II for her original story on "imagination."
Four of our students won prizes for the "Books With
Wings" Young Authors Contest.
1. Awarded school grants
totaling $90,000 that were used to decrease teacher-student
ratio, provide small group instruction, provide staff
development, and provide after-school and Saturday tutoring.
2. A District waiver was obtained to extend the school
day from 2:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. for kindergarten and Grade
I students in order to improve student achievement and
to ensure full day attendance.
3. Five district finalists in the Do the Right Thing Campaign.
1. Received the 3 year CSRD
grant for $150,000. The grant allows for the implementation
of the Lightspan Achieve Now Home Learning Program.
2. Received the QZAB grant for $132,000 which will be
utilized for new computers, wiring and software.
1. Chorus trip to
Georgia, North and South Carolina, Florida - Singing and
Black History Tours
2. Expanded Internet Access
3. Implemented first year of the Comprehensive School
Reform Grant ($50,000)
4. Received, and in the process of implementing QZAB Technology
grant of $124,000
5. Dade Reading Council - two "Books with Wings"
6. Christopher Cruz won a trip to London - Do the Right
1. Saturday Academy - 300 eighth
grade students received additional instruction in reading,
writing, and mathematics
2. Science Saturday - Students participated in hands-on
3. Track County Champions for two years running
4. Attendance averaging 95% - Number I in attendance
for Region II Middle Schools
5. Received the QZAB grant for $59,000 which will be
utilized to purchase additional computers
6. 200+ members of the 500 Role Model Program making
it the largest in the county
7.1999 Florida Writes! 3.5 average
1. Travel and Tourism
2. Athletic Program
3. JROTC Program
4. Scholarships/Silver Knight